Cucumbers are the fourth most cultivated vegetable in the world and known to be one of the best foods for your body’s overall health, often referred to as a superfood. Cucumbers are often sprayed with pesticides so it is important to buy organic or even better, grow them yourself. Also – at many commercial grocery stores and online you can buy fruit and vegetable sprays that are designed to remove pesticides and toxins from fresh produce.
1. Rehydrates body and replenishes daily vitamins – Cucumbers are 95 percent water, keeping the body hydrated while helping the body eliminate toxins. Cucumbers have most of the vitamins the body needs in a single day. Don’t forget to leave the skin on because the skin contains a good amount of vitamin C, about 10 percent of the daily-recommended allowance.
2. Aids in weight loss and digestion – Due to its low calorie and high water content, cucumber is an ideal diet for people who are looking for weight loss. The high water content and dietary fiber in cucumbers are very effective in ridding the body of toxins from the digestive system, aiding digestion. Daily consumption of cucumbers can be regarded as a remedy for chronic constipation.
3. Healthy Hair: Cucumbers contain silicon and sulfur, which are minerals that support and promote hair growth and strength.
4. Cancer prevention: Cucumbers may also prevent cancer, because of the lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol they contain. These three lignans have been associated with reduced risk of breast cancer, uterine cancer, prostate cancer, and ovarian cancer.
5. Mosquito repellant: Another interesting, little known-fact we learned is that cucumber works as mosquito repellent! Instead of using commercial products that contain deet and other chemicals, you can rub a cucumber on your skin and avoid irritating insect bites.
6. Relieves bad breath – Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds, the phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
7. Hangover cure: We also learned that the Vitamin B and electrolytes they contain make them the perfect cure for hangover and headache. In addition, studies show they may be effective for weight loss and useful as a natural treatment for indigestion and constipation.
8. Cures diabetes, reduces cholesterol and controls blood pressure – Cucumber juice contains a hormone which is needed by the cells of the pancreas for producing insulin which has been found to be beneficial to diabetic patients. Researchers found that a compound called sterols in cucumbers may help reduce cholesterol levels. Cucumbers contain a lot of potassium, magnesium and fiber. These work effectively for regulating blood pressure. This makes cucumbers good for treating both low blood pressure and high blood pressure.
9. Arthritis and joint inflammation: Eating cucumbers may help to reduce inflammation and pain in the joints— which can aid in preventing or treating arthritis.
10. Cholesterol The minerals in cucumbers are also considered beneficial towards lowering high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
– Did you know that cucumbers can be used to clean fog off a mirror, and can also be used as a natural alternative to products like WD40 to fix squeaky door hinges.